Head Coach Search Methodology
Not long after Bill Cowher's press conference on Friday, Steelers President Art Rooney II stepped before the media and discussed just how the organization will go about the process of seeking their third head coach in nearly forty years. A transcript of that session is available at Steelers.com, but here are a few of the highlights:
- Both Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm have been informed by the organization that they are both candidates for the position.
- The list of potential candidates is still in the process of being formed, therefore Mr. Rooney was not able to provide the number of candidates that will be interviewed.
- Those candidates whose teams are in the playoffs will be visited by the Steelers "interview committee" -- Dan Rooney, Art Rooney II, and Kevin Colbert -- in their city.
- While there is no requirement that the future head coach commit to preserving the team's current offensive and/or defensive schemes, the organization is looking for someone who "fit[s] with the organization and the approach we have had to football."
- NFL coaching experience is one of the criteria being considered, but they "haven't eliminated college coaches, per se."
- Bill Cowher will be asked "for his thoughts on people he knows around the league."
- Whomever the new head coach is will be encouraged to consider the current group of Pittsburgh assistant coaches for positions on the new coach's staff, but there is no requirement that he keep the assistants.