Getting Draft Ready: Mock Draft Updates
We've presented the predictions of at least ten "experts" (just like Pittsburgh Steelers Fanatic is an "expert") as to who the Steelers will choose with the twenty-third pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Now it's time for an update (though we could not locate an update of Todd McShay's mock draft)! Here, in no particular order are the updated predictions of those same experts -- and we've thrown in a couple of new ones at the bottom.
- Rivals.com: Previous prediction: Jeff Otah, OL, Pittsburgh. New prediction: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt.
Ourlads Scouting Service describes Mr. Williams as "the pick of the litter of all the offensive linemen" who participated in the Senior Bowl.
- Draft King: Previous prediction: Sam Baker, OL, USC. New prediction: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State.
Described by Ourlads as having "[g]ood ball skills . . . [n]ot afraid on run support. Raw talent." Mel Kiper has Mr. Rodgers-Cromartie being chosen #7 by the New England Patriots.
- The Football Expert: Previous predictions: First Round -- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt. New predictions: Branden Albert, OL, Virginia.
This site is one of the most comprehensive we have found, and has some mock drafts that go five rounds deep. This revision is a direct result of two players who have helped themselves in All-Star games and at the combine.
- NFL Draft Blitz: Previous prediction: Michael Oher, OL, Mississippi. New prediction: Chris Williams, OL, Vanderbilt.
- My NFL Draft: Previous prediction: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida. New prediction: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College.
Mr. Harvey appears to be climbing up some draft boards -- Mel Kiper projects him at going to the Carolina Panthers at #13. As for Mr. Cherilus, we offered an opinion already.
- Draft Daddy: Previous prediction: Sam Baker, OL, USC. New prediction: Branden Albert, G, Virginia.
- Scott Wright's NFL Draft Countdown: Previous prediction: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College. New prediction: Branden Albert, G, Virginia.
We're beginning to detect a trend.
- NFL Draft Dog: Previous prediction: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon. New prediction: Branden Albert, G, Virginia.
Jonathan Stewart would have been an intriguing choice, but no way is he going to fall this far -- the Steelers have a better chance of getting Darren McFadden.
- FF Toolbox: Previous prediction: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas. New prediction: Sam Baker, OL, USC.
We don't see Mr. Baker making beyond the teens, but this would be wonderful. On the other hand, Mr. Talib is projected at #21 by Mel Kiper so it seems as though that is the more likely scenario.
- Ask the Commish (New): Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina.
Back when we were young children there was a television show called "Laugh-In." It was a comedy/variety type thing, and on the show they had a recurring character whose one line was "interesting -- but stupid!" That's how we feel about this prediction. Here is what Ourlads had to say about Mr. Balmer: "Boom or bust type . . . [o]ne year wonder." Our prediction is this: Not only will the Steelers not take Mr. Balmer, but we do not see him going on day one.
- Draft Ace (New): Branden Albert, G, Virginia
- Draft Wisdom (New): Branden Albert, G, Virginia
We really like this site (which offers a second round) if for no other reason than it provides information about any revision(s) made to the prediction (in a previous mock draft they predicted Jeff Otah).
- Mel Kiper (New -- subscription required): Branden Albert, G, Virginia
The oracle has spoke